As part of our Bi-Monthly Focus of TRANSITION & BALANCE, we’ve been closing classes with a chakra balancing meditation I learned from Corrine Champigny who teaches the blissful Svaroopa Yoga sessions at Nashville’s Yoga Source studio. http://www.yogasource.info/index.php
We have seven energy centers, aka chakras, along our spine, from the tail bone to the crown of the head. Each has its own function, significance, symbolism. Typically, we burn up a lot of energy exercising the basic functions near the lower three chakras (eating, digesting, eliminating, being sexual, reproducing, and so on) while our higher chakras (from the devotional heart center to the pure consciousness of the crown) are a bit underutilized.
Similar to the practice of Kundalini yoga, this meditation intends to raise the energy from the base of the spine and evenly distribute it along all seven energy centers.
To practice this chant, we sit in a meditative pose and – starting with the root chakra and continuing through the crown – we focus our awareness on each energy center while chanting its corresponding seed mantra. Each seed mantra sounds like “OM” (the crown chakra mantra), with an additional sound at the beginning of the syllable. Complete instructions are below and posted on the Tips-n-Tools page.
To flesh out the very brief descriptions of and associations for each chakra below, I really like Wikipedia’s Chakra entries. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chakras
As with all of the Tips-n-Tools I share in this blog, I only intend to share the practices and resources that have helped me in one way or another – practices that teachers have generously passed on. I hope you find something useful!
- Settle – Sit in a comfortable seated pose, lower body grounded, spine long, heart open.
- Breathe – Inhale into the belly, fill the ribs, and then breathe up to the collar-bone. Exhale and release from the collar bone, ribs and belly. Continue this deep three-part breathing throught the nostrils until the mind and body relax.
- 1st Chakra – Bring the awareness to the base of the spine, the point of rootedness and the area of elimination. The seed mantra for this chakra is “L-OM.” Inhale deeply then chant one long “LOM.”
- 2nd Chakra – Shift the awareness to the base of the spine, toward the front of the body, near the reproductive organs. The seed mantra for this chakra is “V-OM.” Inhale deeply then chant one long “VOM.”
- 3rd Chakra – Move the awareness to the belly, the area of digestion. The seed mantra here is “R-OM.” Inhale deeply then chant one long “ROM.”
- 4th Chakra – Raise the awareness to the heart center, our area of love and devotion. The seed mantra is “Y-OM.” Inhale deeply then chant one long “YOM.”
- 5th Chakra – Lift the awarness to the base of the throat, our center of communication. The seed mantra is “H-OM.” Inhale deeply then chant one long “HOM.”
- 6th Chakra – Focus the awareness on the “Third Eye,” the area between the brows, our center of intuition. The seed mantra is “SH-OM.” Inhale deeply then chant one long “SHOM.”
- 7th Chakra – Rest the awareness on the crown of the head, our center of pure consciousness. The seed mantra is “OM.” Inhale deeply then chant one long “OM.”
- Sit silently for a little while and enjoy the raising vibrations.